We’ve discussed how to approach planning your wedding, as well as your prints and timeline, but today’s installation in our Starting Something Sweet series is even more central to achieving the wedding of your dreams–shaping your ceremony! Below is a brief list detailing the steps necessary to ensure that the central event of your wedding is as magical as you’ve always dreamed it would be.
- First of all, decide what kind of ceremony you want! With options ranging from the format of your religious tradition to a secular, civil approach, your ceremony should reflect who you are as a couple. After all, this is the moment that binds you together forever!
- Research your city’s marriage licensing process and any blood tests required by your city or venue. You want to ensure that these details are in order so you can then focus on the fun parts!
- Book an officiant who fits with the idea of your ceremony. If your ceremony is faith-based, especially, consult this person for information about any required pre-marital counseling or meetings you may need to schedule in order to secure their services.
- Determine whether you want any readings during your ceremony, as well as any musical arrangements you may desire for this portion of your wedding. Make sure that any readers have their texts (the same for musicians and their sheet music) at least two to three months before your wedding date.
- Begin writing your own vows, or decide what vows best fit your relationship; you want to be familiar with the words you’ll be reciting, and no one wants to stutter during their vows.
- Outline your processional and recessional order, as well as your preferred standing order for the members of your wedding party. Additionally, designate any ushers you may require and review your seating details with them (you may want to provide them with a guest list as well, depending on the size of your event).
- Prepare and complete any required paperwork, including your marriage license application and securing signing witnesses, no later than one month before your wedding. Any unexpected legal red tape could seriously jeopardize your perfect day if left to the last minute!
See something we missed? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org! We’ll be back next week with more suggestions for how to start something sweet!